Teachers are at the core of the education and success of students enrolled in the Bishop O’Gorman Catholic School students. To celebrate the excellent faculty at all schools and all levels, Bishop O’Gorman Catholic Schools’ teachers will have the opportunity to be nominated as Teachers of Excellence, recognizing their exceptional efforts in Catholic education.
Eligibility to be Nominated as a Teacher of Excellence
- Nominees must teach at least half time (.5 FTE) and must be the sole teacher in a classroom. Individuals teaching specials also qualify as having their own classroom (e.g. gym, art, music, etc.)
- Nominees must have a minimum of three years experience within the Bishop O’Gorman Catholic Schools.
- Nominees must exemplify characteristics of a Teacher of Excellence (Categories)
- Teachers may be nominated in consecutive years.
- Teachers are eligible to receive awards once every five years.
- Teachers nominated, but not selected for the award are eligible for nomination in the subsequent year.
- Nominations may be made by colleagues, priests or parents. (Nominate a teacher) School principals and system administrators may not nominate teachers.
- Nominators must also solicit three letters of support. Supporters may be colleagues, parents and community members. (Support a nomination) School principals may not write letters of support.
- The teacher nominated will be contacted and asked to answer a few questions. (Respond to a nomination)
- Nominations are open January 15, 2021 to March 15, 2021. (now closed)
Assessment of Nominations
Nominations are processed by the Office of Catholic Schools at the Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls. Nominations will be presented without naming the teacher or school (blinded) to a selection committee consisting of five former teachers and administrators. The way in which a teacher exemplifies the Bishop O’Gorman Catholic Schools mission and values is an important piece of the judging process.
Bishop O’Gorman Catholic Schools Mission
To form a community of faith and learning by promoting a Catholic way of life through Gospel values and academic excellence.
Bishop O’Gorman Catholic Schools Core Values
- Faith – Exemplify Gospel values in our daily lives
- Integrity – Adhere to the highest ethical standards
- Excellence – Strive to deliver superior results
- Unity – Support and contribute to the success of the organization