School of Missionary Discipleship
The office of Discipleship and Evangelization will be offering the next cohort of School of Missionary Discipleship in January 2024.
Fall in Love, Stay in Love, Let Love Make All the Difference
The Office of Discipleship & Evangelization is excited to announce the launch of the School of Missionary Discipleship. The School of Missionary Discipleship exists as a way for Catholics from around the diocese to deepen their faith in every aspect, so they can more fully and fruitfully respond to the diocesan vision of Lifelong Catholic Missionary Discipleship Through God’s Love.
Foundations in Christian Prayer and Virtue
Prayer is a personal relationship of growing intimacy with God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Many Christians want to pray, know they should pray, have tried at different times to start a habit of prayer, but for a variety of reasons have difficulty entering into a more consistent habit of prayer or a deeper encounter with God when they do pray.
This year of formation will provide a great foundation to help those new to personal prayer, as well as those well experienced in personal prayer, to enter more deeply into their daily relationship with God. We will cover essential principles of relational prayer, specific methods of Christian prayer, the interplay of prayer and virtue, and an introduction to discernment of spirits. Together these elements will help participants of any background to “fall in Love, stay in Love and let Love make all the difference.”
Participants will additionally have excellent tools to help others begin and deepen a habit of personal prayer.
- We use a “flipped classroom” approach. Main teaching is available on demand a week before class meets. This will entail three to four video presentations each week.
- Class will meet via Zoom on Tuesdays evenings.
- Class meetings are mandatory for participants. They will consist of discussion, Q&A, application, practical exercises, and deepening of the main teaching points each week.
The course has four main areas of focus
- Foundations of Christian, relational prayer
- Establishing the vision of prayer as a personal encounter of growing intimacy with God. Practical application of these principles in daily prayer. making relational choice in prayer. The role of Christian imagination in prayer. Dealing with distractions. The role of Ignatian repetition.
- Introduction to specific methods of Christian prayer
- Ignatian Meditation
- Ignatian Contemplation
- Lectio Divina
- Intercessory Prayer
- Liturgy of the Hour
- The Explosive Gospel
- The Examen Prayer
- Christian Virtue
- The call to supernatural virtue. Faith, hope and love as capacities for real, personal relationship with God. Prudence, temperance, justice and fortitude as concrete habits for living out our relationship with God in the situations of daily life. Emphasis how our growth in virtue necessarily depends on our growth in intimacy with God.
- Introduction to Discernment of Spirits
- What is discernment of spirits? Overview of the Rules for Discernment of Spirits Week 1. Application to personal prayer and daily intimacy with God. Ignatian repetition. Examen prayer and discernment of spirits.
Who is this course for?
This course is for any baptized person who desires to grow in relationship with God through personal prayer, or who desires to be equipped to help others do the same. It is appropriate for ages 16 and up.
$50 for registration. There will be optional suggested readings over the year, also the responsibility of the participant.
None are required. Certain articles will be provided. Additional optional reading materials will be introduced as the course progresses.
Is a prerequisite for:
- School of Missionary Discipleship years 2 & 3
- Prayer Mentor/Spiritual Director Training track of Missionary Discipleship
Registration & Additional Information
Registration is currently closed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or 605-988-3714.