Established on November 12, 1889 by Pope Leo XIII comprising all of South Dakota.
Since 1902, comprises that part of the State of South Dakota East of the Missouri River.
The Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls is a significant presence in eastern South Dakota. For 125 years, it has not only spread the message of the Gospel, but has lived the message through its ministries and parishes. Through spiritual and sacramental outreach, educational endeavors and a commitment to service, the Church has made a difference in people’s lives. We are striving to continue this tradition by making our Diocese an even better place to live, learn, work and worship. The Family of God in the Sioux Falls Diocese, headed by Most Rev. Paul J. Swain, numbers over 120,000 baptized members.
The Pastoral Center is where most of the diocesan head offices are. The building is located directly North of St. Joseph Cathedral.
The Shepherds Flock
Info of current and past bishop’s of the diocese.
Rt. Reverend Martin Marty
– Appointed Vicar Apostolic of Dakota on August 8, 1879
– Named First Bishop of Sioux Falls on November 12, 1889
– Transferred to the Diocese of St. Cloud, Minnesota in 1894
– Died on September 19, 1896
Rt. Reverend Thomas O’Gorman
– Named Bishop of Sioux Falls on January 24, 1896
– Died on September 18, 1921
Most Reverend Bernard J. Mahoney
– Named Bishop of Sioux Falls on May 22, 1922
– Died on March 20, 1939
Most Reverend William O. Brady
– Named Bishop of Sioux Falls on June 10, 1939
– Transferred to the Archdiocese of St. Paul on June 21, 1956
– Died on October 1, 1961
Most Reverend Lambert A. Hoch
– Named Bishop of Sioux Falls on November 2, 1956
– Resigned from Office of Bishop on June 13, 1978
– Died on June 27, 1990
Most Reverend Paul V. Dudley
– Named Bishop of Sioux Falls on September 26, 1978
– Resigned from Office of Bishop on March 21, 1995
– Died on November 20, 2006
Most Reverend Paul F. Anderson
– Named Auxiliary Bishop of Sioux Falls on August 12, 1982
– Died on January 4, 1987
Most Reverend Robert J. Carlson
– Named Coadjutor Bishop of Sioux Falls on January 13, 1994
– Named seventh Bishop on March 21, 1995
– Transferred to Diocese of Saginaw, Michigan February 24, 2005
– Named Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Saint Louis on April 21,2009
Most Reverend Paul J. Swain
– Named Bishop of Sioux Falls on August 30, 2006
– Consecrated as Bishop of Sioux Falls on October 26, 2006