The Bishop’s Bulletin is the newspaper of record for the Diocese of Sioux Falls. The monthly publication includes news, features and columns relating to Catholic life in eastern South Dakota and is sent to every registered Catholic household in the diocese. It is also available on this web site. Bulletin Extras is found only on this website and allows the newspaper to report events between editions.

This Months Issue
August 2014

This months Bishop's Bulletin is available online. Click to see this months featured articles. The Bulletin is available in its entirety to download in pdf format.



Top Stories

Creation of the Vicariate of Dakota
by - 8/14/2014
 


File Name: 1886rail-usgenweb-mapproject.jpg “1886rail-usgenweb-mapprojetct” by Road, McNally & Co.
When Pope Leo XIII created the Vicariate of Dakota in 1879 (the territory was all of what is now North Dakota and South Dakota), Martin Marty was named vicar apostolic and a bishop.

Ten years later when the Diocese of Sioux Falls was created, Bishop Marty became bishop of the Diocese of Sioux Falls.

The territory included all of South Dakota until 1902 when the Diocese of Lead was created (becoming the Diocese of Rapid City in 1930).