Forming Missionary Disciples in our Diocese
Equip forms lay men and women as missionary disciples, empowering them to deepen their own faith in Jesus Christ and to share Him and His teachings with others.
Upon completion of the Equip process, participants are deeply formed in their ability to engage in the work of the New Evangelization: to live and share their faith in Jesus Christ with those they encounter in their daily lives, according to the gifts that God has given them.
A Robust and Systematic Formation Process
Equip is attentive to all four areas of discipleship formation: a thorough knowledge of Church teaching (intellectual formation); a deep personal prayer life (spiritual formation); an ability to interact with and accompany others (human formation); and a recognition of the personal call and empowerment to build up God’s kingdom (apostolic formation).
All areas of formation will be engaged throughout the three year process. Each year will have a specific focus of formation.
- Sacred Scripture and Church History – An overview of the Story of Salvation from creation to today.
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church – An exploration of Church teaching.
- Sharing your Faith – A practical introduction to talking with others about our faith.
The Equip process consists of quarterly days of formation, monthly virtual meetings, and regular contact with Dr. Chris.
Quarterly days of formation are held 9 am to 5 pm on Saturdays at the diocesan offices next to the Cathedral of St. Joseph in Sioux Falls. They consist of presentations and discussion, as well as participation in daily Mass at the Cathedral, Liturgy of the Hours, and the opportunity for confession and personal prayer.
Monthly meetings are held virtually 9 am to 11 am on Saturdays, and similarly consist of a shorter presentation and discussion.
Dr. Chris will be in regular contact to discuss the assigned readings and the basics of your spiritual life.
The next cohort begins November 1, 2020 and ends October 31, 2023.
Application Window Closed
Because Equip entails a high level of formation, a certain level of readiness is necessary in order to undertake it. Applicants must already be disciples of Jesus Christ who pray and receive the sacraments regularly and who embrace all the teachings of Jesus Christ which we have received in and through the Catholic Church.
In order to determine whether or not you have the necessary level of readiness, please complete the following application process.
- Apply. Closed September 15, 2020.
- Get a Recommendation. Ask a priest in good standing in the Diocese of Sioux Falls to complete the recommendation form.
- Interview with Dr. Chris. After your application and recommendation have been processed, someone will reach out to you to set up your interview.