Adults Required to Complete
All employees, volunteers with minors and vulnerable adults, incardinated clergy, visiting clergy, and religious personnel. For a detailed list, see “Section 2. Applicable Personnel” of the Diocese of Sioux Falls Sexual Misconduct Policy or contact the Safe Environment Office.
Adults are required to create a CMG Connect account to complete these requirements within one week of hire or recruitment:
- Criminal Background Check Curriculum. The criminal background check is a condition of employment and volunteering. The background check is authorized through the adult’s CMG Connect account. The criminal background check must be renewed every six years. The diocese will not accept background checks from other vendors. New employees in Catholic schools are required to complete a traditional fingerprint background check per SDCL 13-10-12. After six years, the employee can renew through the vendor in CMG Connect.
- Annual Awareness Curriculum. The annual awareness curriculum has three parts: 1) a short 20-30 minute about abuse, boundaries, or other relevant topics, 2) the Adult Code of Conduct, and 3) a sexual misconduct policy questionnaire. The annual awareness curriculum is reset and must be renewed every year after July 1.
NOTE: Employees or volunteers hired/recruited for a July or August summer program, camp, or mission will complete the awareness curriculum available at the time they are hired/recruited. If the employee or adult will be employed or volunteering at a parish, Catholic school or other diocesan agency after the summer program, camp, or mission has ended, they need to complete the annual awareness curriculum that began after July 1.
Vulnerable Adult Curriculum. The vulnerable adult curriculum is only completed by adults who have contact with vulnerable adults. The definition of vulnerable adult is an adult whose ability to perform the normal activities of daily living or to provide for his/her own are or protection is impaired due to a mental, emotional, physical or development disability or dysfunction, or brain damage or the infirmities of aging. This includes all residents or patients of a care facility. The vulnerable curriculum must be renewed every three years.
CMG Connect is a online training platform developed by our risk insurer, Catholic Mutual Group. Only one account is needed for the entire diocese, which is helpful for adults who may volunteer and/or be employed at more than one parish, Catholic school, or other diocesan agency.
Adults attending a group training event sponsored by a parish, school, or other diocesan agency are still required to have a CMG Connect account. The local coordinator for the parish, school, or agency will provide the adult with more details.
- New Users: 2019-20 New User Tutorial| Create a new account
- Current Users: 2019-20 Current User Tutorial| Sign-in to existing account
Frequently Asked Questions
Employees, volunteers, and clergy/religious at a parish, Catholic school, or agency who has been approached by a minor who discloses abuse is obligated to report the abuse (more information).
Employees, volunteers, and clergy/religious at parish, Catholic school, or agency who have experienced sexual harassment from another employee or volunteer should report the harassment to the appropriate staff person (more information).
- Do I create a new CMG account every year? No, each adult should have only one CMG account.
- Do I create an account for place I am volunteering or employed at? No, each adult should have only one CMG account. Local coordinators can view the accounts for the entire diocese and confirm you completed your training.
- How do I create a new account? Go to https://siouxfalls.cmgconnect.org
- How do I sign-in to my old account? Go to https://siouxfalls.cmgconnect.org/users/sign_in
- I forgot my password. Go to https://siouxfalls.cmgconnect.org/users/sign_in and click on “Forgot Password”. The password will be emailed to the email account you provided when you created your account. Be sure to check your junk or spam folders. If you still do not receive an email, contact your local coordinator or the diocesan coordinator.
- I forgot my username. Contact your local coordinator or the diocesan coordinator.
- CMG Connect isn’t working on my computer! This program works best in Google Chrome; however, some issues may be the result of your internet speed. Please contact your local coordinator to schedule a one-on-one training or go to https://siouxfalls.cmgconnect.org/support for more information.
- I do not have a computer or internet! Please contact your local coordinator to schedule a one-on-one training
- Can I refuse to authorize a criminal background check? The criminal background check is a condition of employment and to volunteer. Adults who refuse to complete a criminal background check cannot volunteer or be employed.
- I just turned 18, do I need a background check? Yes, if you will be an employee or volunteer at a parish, school, or agency.
- Is there an alternative to the online background check through CMG Connect? Not at this time.
- I just had a background check for my employer or other organization, can you use that one? No, we can only accept background checks submitted online through your CMG Connect account. Catholic school teachers should contact their local coordinator for special instructions.
- Who pays for the criminal background check? Employee background checks are paid by the employing parish, school, or agency. Volunteer background checks are usually paid by the parish, school, or agency; however, some locations may charge. A donation towards the cost of the background check is always appreciated.
- Is personal or community knowledge of an adult’s background considered? Yes, in addition to the criminal background check. If a member of the parish or community has concerns about an adult who has been cleared to work or volunteer, the member is encouraged to voice their concerns to the diocese.
- Does the diocese review my credit report? No, only the criminal history is reviewed.
- What is reported on my background check? Criminal charges and convictions. Our vendor, Selection.com, searches local, state and federal law enforcement agency’s criminal databases.
- Can I request a copy of my criminal background check? If the background check was authorized through our vendor, Selection.com, then yes, you may request a free copy by calling (800) 325-3609.
- I know there will be an offense on my results, what should I do? Past criminal convictions do not necessarily prevent an individual from employment or volunteer ministry in the Church. The Diocese takes into consideration the nature of the offense, how much time has passed since the conviction, and other factors when determining one’s suitability for ministry. If you are aware of an offense that may/will appear on your results, you are invited to self-disclose the details of the offense to the parish’s pastor or the local hiring/HR representative. Also see Background Check Review and Appeal Process.
- Why does the background check require the use of my Social Security Number (SSN)? A background check is required before any adult can volunteer or work on behalf of the parish, school or diocese. The CMG platform is secure and encrypted. The vendor, Selection.com, is a professional company bound by federal laws regulating investigations into criminal histories. Your SSN is safe when entered into this platform. Your SSN will not be used for other purposes. Using an individual’s SSN to review a criminal history increases the search’s accuracy and reduces costs to the Church.