The Tuthill House, now referred to as the Bishop’s House, is a structure known for its beauty and majesty. John W. Tuthill, a native of Chenango County, New York, was the original owner. Engaged in the lumber trade, Mr. Tuthill moved with his wife, Jennie, and three sons to Sioux Falls in 1882. In 1888, John Tuthill commissioned
Wallace L. Dow to design a house, which would reflect Mr. Tuthill’s position as a lumber magnate.
Until the early 1920’s, the Tuthill family lived in the residence. The house then remained vacant until the Catholic Diocese of Sioux Falls purchased it in 1952 for $20,000.
Bishop William O. Brady made his residence and also the Chancery Office there until he was named Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis in 1956. Bishop Lambert A. Hoch lived in the house until his death in 1990. At that time, Bishop Paul V. Dudley moved into the house until his resignation in 1995. In 1995 Bishop Robert J. Carlson was named Bishop of the Diocese of Sioux Falls and became the resident of the house until his transfer in 2005. Bishop Paul J. Swain has lived in the house since his ordination as the 8th Bishop in October 2006.
From 1952 to 1990 the third floor served as a convent for Benedictine Sisters who served as domestic help for the Bishop.
The architecture is described as a “Queen Anne” design, which dominated American house architecture in the 1880’s and 1890’s. This style originated in Victorian England and is characterized by a tower or turret and its distinctive roof shape.
One of the principle attractions of this house is the various kinds of wood used in the different rooms and the hand crafted carvings.
- Foyer – Oak
- Staircase – Oak
- East Room – Honduras Mahogany
- Middle Room – Maple
- West Room – Cherry
- Kitchen – Cherry with carvings of Maple
- Chapel – Maple (among others)
- Bishop’s Bedroom – Redwood
- Bishop’s Sitting Room – Birch and Maple
Location of The Bishop’s House