A Words of Wisdom retreat is an opportunity to learn from a master by reading his or her book and coming together with people from around the diocese for a day-long retreat to unpack the book. What sets this event apart from other “study-type” events is an emphasis on wisdom, which is the application of knowledge or understanding to your life. You will be informed by the knowledge gained from the book and transformed by the retreat’s emphasis on applying that knowledge to your life. Dr. Chris will offer some teaching on the book and lead a time of discussion answering the questions “What does this book mean?” and “Why does it matter?” There will also be an opportunity to spend time in prayer with our Lord, talking to Him about the things that struck you during your reading and the discussion. Our desire is that you will recognize how the things that stirred your heart can transform your own life, bringing you closer to Jesus Christ.
Here’s how it works:
- Register. Scroll down to the Tickets box to register.
- Get the book. It’s easy to find online, but if you like the human connection, we highly recommend you visit the Mustard Seed Catholic Store in Sioux Falls.
- Download the Reading Guide. Chris has created a free guide to help you process what you are reading and prepare for the retreat. Scroll down to get the guide.
- Read the book. Follow the reading schedule and answer the questions in the guide as you read.
- Pray about it. Pay attention to how the Lord stirs your heart as you read and reflect. Ask Him what He wants you to take away from the book.
- Go to the retreat. Join others for a day of teaching, discussion, and prayer.
- Live it out. Take what you have learned and apply it to your life.
Special Virtual Edition:
While we are practicing social distancing and taking other steps recommended by civic leaders to slow and stop the spread of the coronavirus, we are recreating this Words of Wisdom retreat into a virtual retreat. We will gather online in a virtual classroom for the retreat day. Instructions will be sent out to participants.
The book we are studying for this retreat is Did Jesus Really Rise from the Dead?: Questions and Answers about the Life, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus by well-known Catholic writer, editor and convert, Carl Olson. Using a popular question-and-answer format, Olson examines the historical evidence concerning questions about Jesus’s controversial fate. Did Jesus really die on the cross? If so, what became of his body? Was it stolen? Misplaced? Is the resurrection a cleverly devised plot to found a new religion? Or a myth? Or a mass hallucination? Olson explores these questions as well as the authenticity and the truth of the Gospel accounts of the Resurrection.
The seasons of Lent and Easter are the perfect time to dive into one of the greatest mysteries of our Catholic faith.
Download the Reading Guide for Carl Olson’s book Did Jesus Really Rise from the Dead.
- Date: April 25, 2020 – 9 am to 4 pm
- Location: Online virtual classroom
- Please have the following: the book, the reading guide, a notebook and pen, and a Bible.